U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Located in:

c. 4. Provide the Language Contained in the State Policy for “requiring Additional Assistance to Enter or Complete an Educational Program, or to Secure and Hold Employment” Criterion for Out-of-school Youth Specified in WIOA Section 129(a)(1)(b)(iii)(viii) and for “requiring Additional Assistance to Complete an Education Program, or to Secure and Hold Employment” Criterion for In- School Youth Specified in WIOA Section 129(a)(1)(c)(iv)(vii).

Current Narrative:

Because the WIOA youth program will not enroll in-school youth, no criteria will be developed for in-school youth “requiring additional assistance to complete an education program, or to secure and hold employment” specified in WIOA section 129(a)(1)(C)(iv)(VII).

On April 20, 2016, the state Workforce Development Council approved the following criteria for out-of-school youth requiring additional assistance, which was initially recommended by the state’s Youth Subcommittee.

The WIOA Definition for Youth Needing Additional Assistance (Out-of-school Youth):

Low-income individual who requires additional assistance to enter or complete an educational program or to secure or hold employment:

A) Has been treated by a professional for mental health issues including traumatic events, depression, or substance abuse related problems. OR

B) Has been or is a victim of abuse, or resides in an abusive environment as documented by a licensed professional; OR

C) Has been unemployed for at least three of the last six months (not necessarily consecutive); OR

D) Has a family history of chronic unemployment (during the two years prior to application, family members were unemployed longer than employed); OR

E) Limited English speaking or cultural displacement. i.e., refugees.