U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Located in:
  • III. Operational Planning Elements
    The Unified or Combined State Plan must include an Operational Planning Elements section that support the State’s strategy and the system-wide vision described in Section II.(c) above. Unless otherwise noted, all Operational Planning Elements apply to Combined State Plan partner programs included in the plan as well as to core programs. This section must include—
    • b. State Operating Systems and Policies
      The Unified or Combined State Plan must include a description of the State operating systems and policies that will support the implementation of the State strategy described in Section II Strategic Elements . This includes—
      • 5. Distribution of Funds for Core Programs
        Describe the methods and factors the State will use in distributing funds under the core programs in accordance with the provisions authorizing such distributions.
        • A. for Title I Programs
          For Title I programs, provide a description of the written policies that establish the State's methods and factors used to distribute funds to local areas for—

III. b. 5. A. i. Youth Activities in Accordance with WIOA Section 128(b)(2) or (b)(3),

Current Narrative:

The State of Alabama will apply the “alternate” Section 128(b)(3)(B) Youth allocation formula to sub-state allocations. The “alternate” procedures seem an effective means to ensuring the available WIOA employment and training funds are appropriately better channeled to urban areas. The “alternate” Youth formula applies seventy percent (70 percent) weights to the basic Section 128(b)(2) local area statutory formula. The remaining weights, i.e. thirty percent (30 percent) are comprised of local area “excess poverty” and “unemployment above the State average”.

The excess poverty “alternate” allocation component is derived from the most recent available American Community Survey (ACS) and the most current Alabama CPS population data. The State applies “above 7.5 percent of population” to capture the “excess poverty” for WIOA Youth “alternate” allocation formula components.

The WIOA alternate formula “Unemployment above State average” component is calculated in much the same way as the WIOA formula “excess unemployment” component. The difference is the WIOA formula defines “excess unemployment” as that above 4.5 percent of the labor force; “unemployment above the State average” is that unemployment above the Alabama average, i.e., 3.603 percent of the labor force.

The two above “alternate” 30 percent formula elements are pooled, resulting in a single Poverty/Unemployment index for each county/allocation entity. In order that a greater share of available WIOA resources might be directed toward the easing of local conditions of poverty, a 75 percent weight is assigned to the poverty factor in this pooling, and a 25 percent weight is assigned to the unemployment factor. The structure of the “alternate” formulas and its greater focus on the incidence of local area conditions of poverty should help lessen the adverse effects of any year-to-year WIOA funding changes which may occur. Youth funds distributed to the local workforce development areas are guaranteed to be no less than 90% of the average allocation percentage for each local workforce development areas prior two years.