- Jobs for Veterans’ State Grants
(OMB Control Number: 1225-0086)
The Jobs for Veterans’ State Grants (JVSG) are mandatory, formula-based staffing grants to States (including DC, PR, VI and Guam). The JVSG is funded annually in accordance with a funding formula defined in the statute (38 U.S.C. 4102A (c) (2) (B) and regulation and operates on a fiscal year (not program year) basis, however, performance metrics are collected and reported quarterly on a Program Year basis (as with the ETA-9002 Series). Currently, VETS JVSG operates on a multi-year grant approval cycle modified and funded annually.
In accordance with 38 U.S.C. § 4102A(b)(5) and § 4102A(c), the Assistant Secretary for Veterans' Employment and Training (ASVET) makes grant funds available for use in each State to support Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program (DVOP) specialists and Local Veterans' Employment Representatives (LVER) staff. As a condition to receive funding, 38 U.S.C. § 4102A(c)(2) requires States to submit an application for a grant that contains a State Plan narrative, which includes:
h. The hire date along with mandatory training completion dates for all DVOP specialists and LVER staff; and
As amended by the Veterans Benefit Act of 2010, 38 U.S.C § 4102(A) (c)(8)(A) requires all newly hired DVOP specialists and LVER staff to satisfactorily complete JVSG training delivered by the National Veterans Training Institute within 18 months after the date of employment.
The JVSG prerequisite e-Learning courses to be satisfactorily completed by newly hired DVOP specialists and LVER staff within 18-months of their employment dates are:
- Legal Guidance Affecting Veterans’ Employment Services (online university model, instructor led cohort that will take approximately 15 hours to complete over a 24-day period).
- A Day in the Life of JVSG Staff in an American Job Center (self-paced online learning that will take approximately 3 hours to complete over an indefinite period).
- Removing the Employability Gap for Veterans with Significant Barriers to Employment (online university model, instructor led cohort that will take approximately 4 hours to complete over a 10-day period).
The Core JVSG competency-based classroom courses to be satisfactorily completed by the newly hired JVSG staff within 18-months of their employment dates are:
- Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Program Specialist Core Competency Development (3.5 days to complete).
- Local Veterans’ Employment Representative Core Competency Development (3.5 days to complete).
Below is Indiana’s JVSG staff roster (current as of May 15, 2020). Staffing changes may occur prior to Plan approval, but all JVSG staff complete the NVTI training within 18 months after the date employment begins:
|Employee Name||Program||Date Assigned||Requirements Completed|